Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2013 09:11:18 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Thanks Heather and Nikki.  As far as why is she being weighed so frequently, because in the US they do 4 days, 2 weeks on first time moms.  I think many do a one month or 6 week check. Vaccinations are given at 2, 4, 6, months.  This particular pediatrician is apparently known to "freak out" over weights w breastfed infants; when I got the initial report, I thought it was just overreaction because the overrall weight gain is 0.82 oz/day.  It's just the trend that I'm wondering about.  Mom says baby is "falling down" on both height and weight percentiles.  I went back for the weight check to see what my plan (more frequent feeds, restrict pacifier (even bait and switch, which is how she transferred additional 22 cc when i was there), and offering when mom is feeling full) had done to weight - it was more to reassure the mom, but left me confused, because these strategies "should" have resulted in more weight gain.  I couldn't explain it to this fragile mom who will not see that peds again but is still concerned and wants weight to be up before next visit to that practice. I also wondered if the recent "low" gain of 3 oz/7 days was related to irritability following the 2 month vaccination - maybe feeding less frequently, sleeping more, but mom reported no fever or other side effects.  I suggested probiotics for both mom and babe - I figured it can't hurt.  When I was there for weight check, I noticed some jitteriness in baby's arms - when I asked mom if she has seen this before, she stated baby has "rhythmic jerking" sometimes. 

Laura

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2