From:
P Wiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 12:12:16 -0400
Kathleen,

My son and I read The Giver last year.  It was chilling.  The so-called
Utopian Society of the book sounded a lot like what some of the newer
philosophers of child-rearing (you know, the ones who think they are raising
children God's way...) are now saying:  Do not get attached to anyone,
especially your own baby!!! Under no circumstances should anyone have free
agency, especially a child. Just be happy to be CONTROLLED.  I'm sorry but I
can't buy into this C--P.  My best advice to mothers is "Listen to your heart,"
and ignore the so-called experts.  Every family is different.  What works in
one family may not work in another. Always treat your child as you would
want to be treated.

Pam Wiggins, Franklin VA.