From:
Tricia Jalbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 14:47:08 -0800
I just found out about the Master's degree (MA) in human development, with
a specialty in lactation which is offered jointly through Pacific Oaks
college and the Lactation Institute (Chele Marmet's clinic).  I'm strongly
considering persuing this course, and I have a couple of questions.

Did anyone do the BA or MA through them?  What did you think?

And also, would anybody know what the practical implications are?  I am
guessing that having an MA would be a career advantage to me, in addition
to the IBCLC credential.  (I'm still at the front end of getting my hours
to sit for the exam.)  I hold just a BA in psychology and was a social
worker before.  I'm not really interested in getting a nursing degree, but
I think I would like to have more well, "background", so that working with
medical professionals is facilitated.  Does this make sense?

If anyone's interested, the basic course work is done via the Internet, in
weekend courses at 3 sites (one of which happens to be local to me), and in
intensives at the 3 sites and the home campus.  The lactation course work
is done at the clinic, in intensive sessions.  It's actually remarkably
child-friendly, which is important to me as I have a nursing toddler.  All
the courses, both the basic ones and the lactation ones, sound deliciously
interesting.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Tricia Jalbert