Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 11:46:42 EDT
Just a few thoughts.

This one stuck in my mind from something I read back in the late 70s.   When
they stopped using the cream from cow's milk for fat, they substituted
vegetable oil.  After a while is was found that babies had  micro-hemorrhages of the
gut from it.  Hello!  You can't just add  something because it's fat  for
instance and think it's fine, it turns  out.  ;-) This was remedied by adding
vitamin E.

At one cf  in the 1990s there was a speaker who was a researcher for  the
formula industry.  Was it an ILCA cf?  She said that they'd  been working on
adding AHA and DHA to baby formula for ten  years!  They were using fish oil as a
source, and evidently there was  a preferential uptake of one of the FAs over
the other.  Along comes  Martek using totally different sources (fungi and
algae) and now these  conditionally essential FAs are available in formulas.

I think the industry has begun to learn that you just can't add something
without studying to see what happens. And wasn't it Similac that added
nucleotides hoping it would improve, what,  the immune system?   And I think  the only
effect they could find was that it might  have made the stool of the infant
"more like that of the breastfed  infant's."  So that's what they started
putting on the containers. I looked  it up; here is a URL:
_http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001480464_
(http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001480464)    And Abbott
Singapore says "not using palm-olein oil makes the stool softer, and  nucelotides
are genetic building blocks and are for general growth and  development."

We all know that nothing can wholly substitute  for the exquisite  mother's
milk.  I always like that USA analogy.  If your starting out  in New York City
and want to get to Hawaii, and you add a few new things to  formula that's
like getting to Philadelphia.  Now they've gotten all the  way to Pittsburgh, but
they're still over 4850 miles away.

Mardrey Swenson