From:
The Mullers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2002 12:37:23 -0400
rom:    Lyla Wolfenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: input needed: baby with odd latch/tongue movements

I, too, have been monitoring a baby (now 5 ½ months old), who is
exclusively breastfed, gaining weight well, never has latched well,
tends to chew at breast (although Mom is no longer sore), comes off the
breast frequently, is gassy, has a BM once a week at most and won’t suck
on my finger. This baby has a sideways S shaped palate and gags a lot if
you put something near his palate. He was a vacuum extraction baby at
birth and mother had sore nipples, off and on, for the first month. Now,
she feels everything is fine, but I still wonder. He seems happy and
healthy, so I don’t want to “fix” anything that is not “broke”, but I
wonder.  By the way, he is my grandson. Comments welcomed.
Cheryl Muller, RNC, IBCLC