From:
Carrie Otterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:47:09 -0400
From:    Michele Linn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Help!!!

Hello everyone, I need your help! My family and I recently relocated to
Kentucky from Maryland. I went from a very progressive hospital in the area
of Lactation to one where most people are not even sure what the word
means! I have many battles ahead of me in changing views of Physicians and
staff.

Hi Michele,

I do not have any suggestions for you at the moment, but wanted to concur
with your observations.  I am a LLL Leader in Southeastern Kentucky (moved
here from Ohio) and was absolutely appalled at the stories women tell about
their experiences with the docs around here.  Lack of breastfeeding knowlege
is rampant, and it seems that breastfeeding gets blamed for just about
everything (to the point that mothers oftentimes feel as though they have
done their children *damage* by bf'ing).  I hope to begin some kind of
outreach program to hospitals/docs in the area, offering bf'ing literature
as well as info. about LLL.  In our area even some of the LC's give some
really bad info. : (.  Nipple shields are the solution for a great deal of
the problems (ones that shouldn't *warrant* them) I've heard of.  Good luck!
If you come across anything that works, please pass it on!

Carrie Otterson, LLLL and mom of 2 nurslings