Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2016 03:13:12 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
PTP baby is 3 months. Mother has inverted nipples. At 1 week mother left cotton wool pice inside the nipple which got infected. Mother rushed to hospital and has been on abx since without the infection totally clearing (co-amoxiclav and flucloxicillin) the latter seemed to have been more effective, but still no 100% improvement. Symptoms of breast infection with redness, discharge, blood on milk. Swabs taken weeks ago and cellulitis mentioned (doesn't look like it externally to me, but it's outside my scope). Plentiful supply and baby feeding well. 
The inverted nipple affected looks raw/open after baby fed on that side, but pain free feeding. Mother thinks the GP relies on breastfeeding to finish for infection to clear. She doesn't want to stop and would like to be reassured that weaning off breast won't make a difference to infection as would like to feed full term.
I supported with latch and oversupply to keep soft and consistently pain-free feeds. Found a study on NISIN as a microbial effective with breast infection, which I shared with the mother.
If you have any suggestions to tackle that persistent infection, I would appreciate your input. Photos available if needed. 
Looks like classic bacterial infection. 
We discussed doing repeat swabs from nipple/milk sample as well as baby's throat nose area to match.
Any input is very welcome!
Many thanks
 Maria

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2