From:
Mirine Dye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:46:51 -0500
>Does anyone have a tried and true way of dealing with this attitude?  I
>am at a loss as to why an otherwise respected HCP would undermine the
>advice of his partner and myself...the consultant

For me, advice and opinions on breastfeeding is a litmus test for me. I do not try to convert or change minds, nor waste my precious mothering energy on arguing.  I can see where some would want to gently educate and that is fine too.  I , however, would opt for a new physician,  and have in the past.
If a physician cannot be reliable to know about and promote basic biological information, no matter if it is based on bias or ignorance, then chances are the physician ( or other care provider) may be deficient in many more areas of his or her practice (of which I would not want to stick around to find out).

* And yes, I am currently ,pediatrician-free. The only breastfeeding friendly Ped in my area left- she felt as though the environment for mothers down here was just too horrible to witness and she was right.

Mirine Dye, CLE
Childbirth and Lactation Educator in the Fab Fla Keys