From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:26:31 +0100
As recently as 31 August Rachel Myr shared with us how she conveyed
information about breastfeeding in refugee situations to those helping to
care for the Afghan refugees on board the Tampa, the Norwegian boat which
picked them up from the sea, lay off Australia, and transfered them to
another boat which is still en route (I think) to NZ.

At the time I felt this was an example of the finest kind of networking we
could hope for from Lactnet as an international group devoted to the
protection, support and promotion of breastfeeding.

There have been reminders on this list of the sorts of ways disaster can
affect breastfeeding both physically and emotionally.

As the news gathers here in the UK of the current humanitarian disaster in
Afghanistan and how it is likely to intensifiy -- and as we wonder where
else these disasters might happen, I hope that Lactnet will continue to
function with a focus on international solidarity to protect, support and
promote breastfeeding.

Magda Sachs
US Citizen
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK