From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:29:19 +0200
Cord stumps can fall off almost immediately after birth, or hang on for a
couple of weeks.  We feel it is a non-issue.  My experience is on a nearly
completely BF population.  The variation is so great, and so seemingly
random, that I can not imagine there being a difference based on breast or
bottle.

Even if there were some correlation between BF or not, and period of cord
stump hanging on, what on earth does it matter?  It's like a scab.  When the
site is ready, the scab falls off.  So what?

BTW, cord care here consists of not yanking on the stump.  Period.  If it
smells, we clean it.  With water.  Otherwise babies are bathed at parental
discretion from birth.  Serious infection with umbilicus as port of entry is
virtually unknown here.  Trivial infection (skin only) is also rare.  But
then, everyone breastfeeds.

Rachel Myr in Kristiansand, Norway
wondering what they'll think of next to cause concern about breastfeeding