From:
Felicia Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2008 19:44:39 -0700
Well just to add my .02 to this discussion.  Having been an employee of Babies R Us for 3 years (and having worked with the local store for Baby Fest's and seminars since they opened about 10 years ago) I feel in a unique position to comment on some of this.  One, Robin, Toys R Us was started (a toy store) then a few years later they started selling clothing in stores dedicated to that (called Kids R Us) then when they noticed that sales of baby items was a large portion of their business they opened Babies R Us (so technically they are all one store under the name of Toys R Us, although most Kids R Us have closed and many Toys R Us are close to closing, Babies R Us is the only one really making money).  Many of you are correct (something I noticed when I worked there) many of the employees are around 19 and know nothing of kids and babies (one employee was always very flustered and upset when someone would nurse in the store, when he asked me what to do when a a mom was sitting in 'chairs' - rocking chair displays - nursing what to do I told him to see if they want a footstool).  These really aren't the people to be helping moms with pumps.  The best thing to do is try to meet with the Promotions Coordinator about having information available for employees to give to moms with a lot of questions (I still get calls from women who went to the local Babies R Us needing pump parts not available in the store).  They didn't even know there was a difference between sore & inverted nipple shells (they would mix them on the pegs, because they didn't know).  The local store I worked at doesn't have pumps (yet) but I will keep my eyes open, I still know many of the employees there (in management) so I should be able to make sure they know where to call for help (I already gave them our local breastfeeding coalition brochures).

As a side note, my Medela rep doesn't like that the Symphony's are available at Babies R Us, her feeling is once they lose a few pumps they will probably end it (who will follow up with these people to make sure they return them?).

Felicia Henry, IBCLC, BCCE
Oxnard, CA