From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 23:22:00 EDT
In a message dated 7/6/0 10:53:16 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< A mom called me because she was asked to leave McDonald's (!!!!) because
she
was breastfeeding.  She lives in Northern California.
She would like to talk to an attorney.  Any ideas?

Wow, this is becoming a little epidemic. I got a call from a friend who is
also an LLLL last night looking for a printed copy of CT's law protecting a
woman's right to bf in public. She was verbally harassed (I mean w/ yelling
and swearing by a shop owner) b/c she refused to stop nursing or leave the
store. She remained very calm (as is her nature, fortunately), and waited
patiently for the police who the shop-owner called to have her thrown out.
They never came, so she left. Today she went to the police station and found
out that the shop owner had been told by the dispatcher (whose Sgt. looked up
the law) that he was in the wrong, which is why they never came. She is
filing a complaint with the Commission on Human Rights and wouldn't you know
it, her mother just happens to work at a law firm. We'll see what happens
next.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA