From:
Traci Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:19:37 PST
Hi all,
I've been lurking and learning for a while, now, but wanted to comment on
absurd advice. When my second child was 2 weeks old he began projectile
vomiting, which was bright yellow. We took him to the pedi (USAF hospital)
and was tols he was allergic to my milk. He then ordered a test and my baby
was taken away before I could ask about the testing. They strapped him into
a car-seat like thing and took x-rays of his abdomen. I was then told to
stop nursing and give soy formula. I went home a total wreck and called my
LLL Leader. We spent a long time doing some detective work and figured out
that my son was probably reacting to the corn I had eaten and the yellow was
from the curry I had the night before. The doc threatened to call Family
Services (CPS of the USAF) because I did not follow his orders and was still
breastfeeding!

A second situation that falls under this category happened last year while I
was working in a WIC office. A mom called me because doc wanted her to
supplement. He said baby was too small for age. This baby was 7.12 at birth
and at 2 weeks was almost 9 lbs. Baby was 21" at birth and at 2 weeks was
24.5"! Mom was tiny, very thin and only 5'1", dad was also on the small
side, about 5'9". Their first child was a beanpole! Doc was freaking about
"low weight gain". All her growth had gone into her length, she was alert,
active, and happy. Great skin tone. Doc freaked mom out and she weaned. I
was furious over this one.

Traci in Texas (studying for THE EXAM)