Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:05:56 +1300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
We are winning!  Baby gained 120gms in 2 days with vigorous supplementation of EBM.  She is now sleeping very well and  is catching up on her sleep (the baby that is).

This case has certainly been a big reminder of how multi-faceted most problems are!  Along with the baby's cardiac condition and slow weight gain was PND, lack of bonding, grief over the loss of the "ideal" baby, fear of all the stresses ahead (surgery etc), the demands of a two year old but most of all the woman's shattered vision of "ideal" breastfeeding which for her very much included  relaxed tandem feeding.

This mum now has to come to terms with "managed" breastfeeding (at least for now).  I did feel the big meanie shattering her dreams and saying "demand feeding will not work here".  So out came the scales for test weighing, out came the bottles and supplementers, out came the calculator to work out volume requirement and out came the clock!   The alternative to all this would have been hospital admission, tube feeding and then exposure to all those hospital infections!  Avoiding hospital admissions is definitely worth it.

The other factor I noted on several home visits was how much energy the baby was using with activity. Conserving calories is also about not using calories.  We are in the middle of summer here but the baby still needs skin to skin  and "nesting".  Very much like a prem baby I feel.

Thank you all again for your help.  I'm sure we have turned a corner.

Karen Palmer, Midwife, IBCLC
Waikato Breastfeeding Collective
New Zealand

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2