From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 10:09:25 +0100
Isn't it interesting what happens when you search the archives.  For
one, you find yourself putting very detailed headings on your posts, as
after your eyes have blurred from reading 400 messages all with the
header 'breast cancer' or 'breastfeeding and breast cancer', you find
yourself saying under your breath... "Detail it!"  :-)

Thank you all for your responses.  I find myself in a quandary...

Breastfeeding duration is cited in several of the studies mentioned,
including the newer ones.  For the mother.  However, I find the archives
have people like me, saying

"I read somewhere that breastfeeding duration has been cited in cancer
prevention for the child.. where is the cite...?"

And the cite is elusive.

Is this one of our own modern myths, or does this cite exist?  At this
point, I'd like to know for my own understanding.  I have hazy
recollections of a study showing that breastfeeding the child for longer
than 2 years, reduced their incidence of breast cancer.  I do remember a
discussion in here - I can't find it, and I'm wondering if it was
extrapolation or conflation.  Such as the risk mitigation for the mother
being inferred upon the child.

Of course, I suspect the answer is that the research hasn't been done.
However, when you find quite a few people saying the same thing - where
is the study we talked about, I can't find it?/ what conference was this
said at, I know I have it in my notes somewhere.. - you do wonder if it
does exist, it's just pre-internet, and is therefore on a shelf
somewhere, being talked about in memory, but not actively read.

For those who asked why I wasn't concentrating on the mother's risks...
it's an advocacy statement on behalf of the child!  :-)

Morgan Gallagher