From:
Marilee Woodworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 1995 17:10:51 -0400
Hello everyone,
I'm working with a mom who is hypertensive. She was pre-eclampsic and
delivered 3 weeks early. The baby weighed 6'15" at birth. The mom was given
magnesium sulfate before and for 18 hours after delivery. The Dr. told her
this would slow the baby's ability to suck. She was sent home with an SNS and
has been using it for 3 weeks also some bottles. The baby initially was very
difficult to latch on, would open wide but not draw breast in. She would make
licking motions. Now at 3 weeks she is much improved but doesn't suck
effectively most of the time. She is almost to birth weight. She latches well
and likes to be at the breast a lot, but mostly for comfort. Once or twice
usually at night she seems to nurse really well without the SNS.

Mother is getting procardia for her hypertension and for a while was getting
a double dose mistakenly. The Dr. says this shouldn't cause a problem for the
baby. Mother is also stressed by the length of time it takes to feed the
baby. She is being pressured to give bottles by her Dr. and family who are
concerned about her health.
She is also pumping with a Lactina double pump and is keeping up with baby's
needs.

We've seen so much progress. I'm telling her that the baby might continue to
improve.

Has anyone else seen an effect from magnesium sulfate. I realize that simply
prematurity and the delay in the first two days could have caused the
problem. Do babies with weak sucks continue to improve?

I realize this is long. I'll end now. Thanks, Marilee Woodworth IBCLC.