From:
Pat Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:24:38 -0600
I have a family with a 5 month old Down's Syndrome infant who is recovering
from heart surgery.  In the process of doing the surgery, a nick was made in
the infant's lymphatic system which evolved into leakage of milk into the
system.  At this point the infant was put on Portagen, a specialized infant
formula with different sorts of fats, ie, no long chain fats.
Mom is pumping up a storm and hoping to get infant back to breast soon. But
there have been discussions here about skimming fat and feeding the fattier
milk to infants, and I wondered if there was any way to skim the fat and
then feed the infant the skimmed breastmilk.  Mom would really like to get
this infant back on breastmilk as much as possible.
So if anyone knows any references about this, I can send them with the
mother to the doctor next Tuesday.
Thanks,

Pat Thomas PHN IBCLC
Winona County Community Health