From:
Elaine M Mazgelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 1998 01:41:17 -0800
This discussion re how much better we would be if we were bf inspires me
to share something which taught me a lot:
It's a very humbling story .

A friend of mine at work had a granddaughter who was bf for several
months (close to a yr, I think) and developed serious environmental
allergies and asthma anyway . She was always sickly and eventually, she
died at age 5 from asthma related problems. One day, my friend asked me,
"why do people always say bf prevents allergies, etc?'. I explained how
kids may be SICKER if they don't bf. But to be honest, my friend's
question always stays with me, and I think of it often, and I personally
am much  less quick to think "how much BETTER everyone would be if we had
been bf." Of course everyone would be better, HOW MUCH BETTER we just
don't know.

I don't know if I'm really clear - but my point is, we can't judge; we
don't know everything.

Elaine Mazgelis, RD, IBCLC
WIC BF Coordinator
Cambridge-Somerville, MA