From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 01:12:10 -0500
Naomi:  You raise some good points about using the Ross data.  When I
started using them in my educational programs, I found an article (I can
try to dig for the reference, but not in the next few days) which
compared the Ross data to government-funded surveys, and found them to be
highly accurate.  The Ross data may be collected for different reasons
than you or I might use them for, but they do very clearly show exclusive
vs. supplemented breakdown.  As for the ethical issues involved, I only
know that the other surveys are much less frequent or accessible.  I see
no reason why I can't use their data to make my points (in fact, at the
last grand rounds I presented, the Ross rep came down and pointedly
mentioned that I was using their numbers, but the relationship obviously
ends there, since I am (very clearly!) NOT promoting their product.
Alicia.  [log in to unmask]