From:
Donald Hagreen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:12:00 PST
I am using the term "we" in this message to indicate myself and the rest of
the community giving advice to breastfeeding women in our town.

We have found that COLD cabbage compresses work well for moms with
engorgement.  We have also had moms use them with good effect to treat
discomfort for mastitis and plugged ducts.  The cabbage we usually use is
savoy, the green one that people use commonly when they are making cabbage
rolls.  The leaves are soft and supple and come easily off the head.  We
used to use the smooth headed cabbages, but found that they had a few
problems.  One of the worst was that it was very difficult to remove the
leaves from the heads and the leaves would then break apart and be more
difficult for moms to use.  Our hospital kitchen special orders in the savoy
cabbage and it works wonderfully.  We also recommend cold cabbage compress
use for women who have chosen to formula feed or to wean their children to
aid in breast engorgement.

We do not treat the leaves in any way, and refrigerate them prior to use.
Moms state that soon after applying the leaves to their breasts, the leaves
feel quite warm on the outside, but are cool and comfortable on the inside.
They wear them between feeds and usually do not feel a need to change them
more frequently than putting on fresh compresses with each feed.

Incidentally, we might think this is a relatively new invention, but I
picked up this quote from a book the son of a friend of mine found in a book
store.  Dr. Peter Marshall,  "Sex, Nursery Rhymes and Other Evils: A Look at
the Bizarre, Amusing, Sometimes Shocking Advice of Victorian Childcare
Experts" (1995), Whitecap Books, Vancouver & Toronto, Canada, ISBN
1-55110-252-8, pg. 75, describes the following, "If the breasts became
engorge, he recommended plenty of rest and applications of young cabbage
leaves."  The "he" in this case is a Doctor Chavasse.  The book is full of
some very interesting tidbits.  The young cabbage leaves recommended in this
book react similarly to savoy cabbage as they are soft and pliant as well.

Don Hagreen &
Jeanne Hagreen RN, IBCLC
The Mosquito Farm & Lost Moose Preserve,
Salmon Valley, B.C.
(20km N of Prince George)