From:
Laura Aldag <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 14:38:42 -0700
After lurking on and off for the last month (am I the only one who has a
hard time keeping up with this list? I'm easily overwhelmed by the volume of
comments!) I have decided to take the plunge and respond to a comment made
by Janet regarding moms who complain that at night baby wants to nurse a
long time and when is taken off the breast complains as if not full.  I am
currently feeding my 11 month old and have noticed the same pattern during
the night. My theory, at least with my son, is that at night he wants to
cuddle up against mom's breast and when I try to take him off he is
complaining not because he is still hungry but because he has been taken
away from his soft pillow.  Just a thought....may be worth mentioning to
some of these breastfeeding moms.

I also  have a question regarding the use of juices with breastfeeding moms.
With my son I pump my breastmilk and put it in a bottle for the sitter while
I am at work.  However, now that it is summer and here in Arizona it is
often over 110 F, I push other fluids like small amounts of juice.  To
ensure that he gets all of it (he is still not very good with a cup) I will
put the juice in a bottle when he is at the sitter or sometimes when we are
out driving errands in the car.  He has had no trouble drinking juice out of
a bottle and then going back to the breast.  Is this the concern being
addressed?  Is there something I'm missing that I should be concerned about.
Not necessarily with my son because I think he is doing fine, but I
supervise two breastfeeding counselors who work with WIC moms.  What is the
recommendations for giving juice when babies don't handle cups well?  And I
am talking about no more than 3-4 ounces of juice a day.