From:
Marian Rigney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:02:19 +1000
Winnie I have to agree with you
<Been following this thread and can't resist commenting.  I don't
feel that prenatal classes should be completely thrown out the
window.  It all depends on what is presented and how"
As a registered nurse and midwife working in a special care nursery, I find
it invaluable if the mothers have prepared themselves with information about
breastfeeding.  Positively presented pre-natal classes are a valuable source
of this information.  Then we don't have to "start from scratch" at a time
when the mothers are usually very stressed because their baby has to be
admitted to a Special Care Nursery.  They are aware that breast is best (or
breast milk)-- they have heard it before and we are just re-inforcing it.
When the baby is premature or compromised breast milk is just such an
important start and I applaud the midwives who presented the fact in
ante-natal classes.  Usually the mothers are keen to do what is best for
their babies and we can then get straight into demonstrating and explaining
expression.  Most of us who work in hospitals (or at least in the nursery
where I work) are passionate about encouraging breastfeeding and  believe in
its superiority over formula.  I think its a case of us all working together
to achieve optimal outcomes.
Marian Rigney RN