From:
Mary-Jane Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 13:43:44 EST
Laura Hart mentioned that all NB's get tested for glucose level in her
facility.  I question subjecting well newborns with no known risk factors to
this invasive procedure for no valid (IMHO) reason.  Do parents in this
facility ever challenge this and deny permission for this to be done?  Or are
they even asked to give informed consent?  And I hope that if the babies are
on "hypoglycemia protocol," they are at least getting the ABM supplements by
some method other than bottle.  Is this a common occurence in hospitals
throughout the US? It has been several years since I worked in the Newborn
nursery at our local hospital and I'm very surprised and saddened if this
practice is widespread.  I would also like to know if any research backs up
this protocol as to improved outcomes for well newborns.  Hope someone has
some answers to my concerns.  TIA.
Mary-Jane Sackett, CD(DONA), RN, CCE
Labors of Love Doula Services, Pittsfield, MA (the most western county in
Mass)