From:
Pardee Hinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 11:45:34 -0500
Mary Solberg requested information regarding teaching nursing students in a 2
hour class format.

I also teach nursing students for a 2 hour class.  I would be glad to mail you a
copy of my outline and hand-outs.  Send me your mailing address if you want
them.

My general presentation includes: historical overview, Baby Friendly Hospital
Initiative, our breastfeeding policy, standing orders for breastfeeding,
hazards, anatomy & physiology, first nursings, positioning & attachment, feeding
cues, normal infant behavior, early indicators of potential difficulties.  I
keep things loose although each student has a formal outline which I cover
spending more or less time on a topic depending upon class interest.  I spend
little time on devices.

My goal for the class is to introduce the students to breastfeeding and human
lactation and empower them to be of some help to the breastfeeding
mother--either by being able to assist her in positioning her newborn at breast
or in recognizing that the she needs referral to the IBCLC.  I want to interest
the student enough so that s/he will want to learn more about bf and our field.

The format is lecture, question/answer, slides, hand-outs, video.  The videos
used depend on my feelings at the time and how the class is going.  I typically
use the first attachment one as I want everything we do to be based on our
current best knowledge of what happens when things work perfectly meaning no
interventions and no medical conditions.  I may use the positioning tape from
Medela, the L.Smith tape, the Royal College of Midwives tape, the AAP tape....in
each case (except first attachment) I use only a short portion of the tape to
illustrate my point.   I use a doll and breast to demonstrate.  I sometimes use
the Linda Smith technique of having the students sip water from different
positions (head tilted back, head turned to shoulder, head parallel with trunk
of body) to demo importance of infant position at breast.

 I have a cup, adapted syringe, breast shell, bottle teat, starter SNS for
demonstration if needed.  I have the Lawrence and Auerbach/Riordan books as demo
of standard reference.  Also have a copy of JHL to pass around for them to see.

I never avoid a question.  I encourage the student to ask the question when it
first comes to mind as I do not want someone to forget to ask and leave with a
need for info unmet.  I also invite them to follow any of the IBCLCs and observe
inpatient rounds or pumping instruction.

Let me know if you need more info.  Hope this helps.  It is great fun to do.
And the instructor likes having the time free.

Pardee Hinson, MPH, IBCLC       [log in to unmask]
Mercy Lactation Support Center
Charlotte, NC