From:
Teresa Vinisky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:06:54 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> In contrast, daycare centers in every state I know
> of are required to have outdoor play facilitites and use them virtually
> every
> day.   (last time we had this discussion someone posted with horror about
> her
> child's daycare center forcing the children out [sic] to play in the
> freezing
> cold, because they go outside whenever they can, by state law)
>
> So I would assume the contrary -- that daycare should be INVERSELY
> correlated
> to rickets.   At least you  have to leave your house to go there and back.
> (Plus as we know the proportion of African American mothers who hold paid
> jobs AND exclusively bf their babies is pretty small; why would you assume
> that this little overlap is where the rickets were showing up even if the
> logic were not to the contrary?)

Daycares are "required" to take children out daily (OR at least play in a
large muscle area-which does not have to be outside), but unfortunately not
all regulations are followed daily. Before I had children I was the director
of a non-profit organization's daycare. It was a very good one. We ran it
well, and I inisted that the staff (even when I was with the children) take
them out daily for a walk or to play. BUT, I know now that I'm gone, that
particular facility does not take them out daily, and most daycares and
preschools that I've seen and heard of do not.
Teresa