From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:21:14 -0700
I understand that the flu shot is made from killed virus but the new nasal
spray is an attenuated(sp?) live virus. If one is contraindicated, I would
suspect, as you did Barb, that it's the nasal spray version. The shot
should still be okay for BFing mothers.
Phyllis

> When we got our flu shots through employee health this year, we were
> specifically told that all staff with direct patient contact should NOT
get
> the nasal spray version as we could transmit the virus to our patients.
> They said that the shot was still fine.  I wonder if somehow that is what
> your patient was referring to?  I don't know if anything passes through to
> the milk with the nasal spray, but perhaps her physician is concerned
about
> someone caring for a baby getting the new nasal spray....
>
> Hope this is helpful,
>
> Barb Fibich, RN, IBCLC
> Milwaukee,WI

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
--- Glendale, AZ, USA
--- Scanned by Norton AntiVirus with auto-updates