Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 05:19:09 -0500
>Since that's probably out of the question, what are some ideas
>others are using to promote continued breastfeeding out there?
Probably my most important suggestion is an early connection with
others that are doing the same thing.  Not only is it important to have
someone to call with accurate information, it is also important to feel
accepted and part of a group.  Being a member of La Leche League fullfills
both needs.  I can't stress this enough.  At work it is getting connected
with the peer counselors.  Lactation professionals are about increasing
initiation and helping to get over the intial "problems" but community
groups such as LLL and my WIC peer counselors are all about DURATION!
Don't underestimate the feeling of belonging.  It is in all of us..you
just
have to look at the success of yahoogroups to see that we ALL have a need
to belong.

Ilene Fabisch, IBCLC, LLLL, WIC BF Co
Listmom wicbfnet and MLCANET
Brockton, MA