From:
Debbi Heffern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:40:03 -0600
Michelle asked:

"So, while breastfeeding women are still discriminated against daily
(with no laws yet to protect them here in Massachusetts) do we really
need OpEd pieces complaining about how much we oppress the status
quo? Or is this a sign that the old order is threatened and that
change is on the horizon? What do these published opinions *mean*?"

An op-ed piece like that often means that the newspaper knows this'll
stir up a controversy and enhance/maintain readership. Sometimes it also
means an opportunity for public education if the responder/s can come
across as informational like Jeanette discussed yesterday rather than as
ranting or defensive. (But ranting is sometimes what the editor is more
likely to publish simply to keep the controversy/readership going.
Grrrrrr. But it does more harm than good IMO.)

Debbi Heffern
St. Louis, MO