From:
Michelle Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:55:34 -0700
Both my sister and I have experienced a self-erupted abscess (maybe women who suffer frequent mastitis and abscesses have a genetic disposition or "unique breast-duct wiring").

My abscess developed rapidly and although it was swollen, red and painful, I thought it was just an angry, plugged duct.  I was determined to unplug the duct before it turned into mastitis, so I began working to unplug it by using the following regimen: heating pad and/or warm wash-cloth then massaging, break, then repeat.  I worked at it for about a day and a half without relief, when finally, at about 2am I had a very painful "popping sensation" followed immediately with a lot of yucky green ooze.  The relief was immediate, although the pain, swelling and redness lingered for several days, along with a small, continual drainage of the yucky ooze.

I called my doctor in the morning and was in the office by the early afternoon.  A sample of the ooze, sent to the lab, confirmed a typical staph infection, so I did a course of antibiotics as well.

Luckily, it has never happened again, because it was so gross!

My sister, who is nursing 10 month-old twins has experienced this twice.  She nurses and pumps day and night, then works occasional evenings selling "adult relationship enhancing" products at home-shows.  Naturally she can't bring the babies with her to her shows, so will go four to five hours without nursing or pumping.  She often struggles with engorgement, plugged ducts and an occasional bout of mastitis.  If she begins to feel like she is getting sore or has a plug, she works the sore spot until she can unplug the duct.  Twice she has felt a popping sensation, followed by the yucky green ooze.

It is worth mentioning also, that both my sister and I struggle with over-supply issues.

Ugh...! I can't believe my first post to this awesome list is about yucky green ooze!

I enjoy reading and learning from all of you wise women daily...thanks!

WarmLLLy,
Michelle Swanson, LLLL
windy Wyoming, USA