From:
The Fogelmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:47:16 +0200
Dear Friends,
I apologize for writing this letter so long after the fact especially to those of you who helped me with this case and/or were interested in the outcome.  Having all my kids home for the holiday meant that I couldn't get near the computer long enough to do anything (except fall asleep).

The mother and I both felt that the baby's tongue was not the issue.   I suspected a submucosal tongue tie but the baby has no trouble sticking his tongue out past his bottom lip. (please correct me if that doesn't mean that the tongue isn't tied)  Mother took my advice to see the CST who I regularly send moms too.  This therapist felt that the baby's jaws and TMJ were extremely tight.  The Mom said that she really saw a difference between the two therapists that she went to, the second seeming more knowledgeable and skilled, but after 3 treatments with her, there was still no improvement.  Mom did feel that the more milk she had, the less the discomfort but she had a really strange attitude towards building up her supply, like when her attitude improves so will the supply, and did not follow the plan completely.  As for breast compression, she first said that it was helpful but later said that it wasn't.  She was interesting to work with.

When the baby was 2 months old the mother decided to call it quits.  She felt that they would enjoy each mother much more with out the nursing.   That was the last time we spoke.   I genuinely praised her for sticking it out as long as she did and counselled her in gradual weaning. After a few days, she called back and reported that neither she nor the baby wanted to give up nursing completely, and that she planned on nursing him 3 times a day.  She could handle that, she said.  That was a relief. That was the last time we spoke.

Obviously things did not work out the way the I would have liked it too but I learned a lot from the advice many of you sent me.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,
Chayn