From:
Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 11:52:20 -0500
I will not go into the long struggle I am dealing with trying to get BFHI embraced at our hospital (small 35 beds).  Our current BF policy is pretty much taken from the guidelines from the BFHI.  Our big fault still is the acceptance of free formula sample and the distribution to mothers.

Here is my request.  Can you send me vial private email, Statements or EXCUSES that you have heard or that you think you might hear that purport to say why the BFHI cannot be implimented.  Some examples I thought of:
We can't tell the mothers they can't use a pacifier.
Our budget is not set up to purchase formula.

Take any and all statements that you can think of and send them to me via private email.  I plan to use this statements in a "point/counter-point" document so that I can address the concerns of the "business as usual" crowd.
Thanks for your help.
Jon Ahrendsen MD FAAFP
Clarion, Iowa