From:
"mumma2wldthings @mac.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:23:16 -0500
rachel,

this is how our food allergies first presented w/ my multiple severe
allergy child. His meconium cleared up 3ish days postpartum and just
turned to blood. My ped said this is a typical sign of dairy
intolerance/allergy and that I should cut it out of my diet
immediately. She also advised that I put him on formula in the
meantime, as he was also losing weight. I was not willing to do the
formula, but began drinking copious amounts of water to help "flush"
the dairy from my system. i am not at all surprised to hear your mom
still gave her baby bloody stools after 3 days, as dairy can take up
to 6 weeks to fully clear the system. i am a rapid metabolizer and his
stools were completely clear of blood after 2 weeks of stopping dairy,
but most of the moms i work with who deal with this problem can take
3-4 weeks for all traces of blood to be gone from baby's stool and
closer to 4-6 weeks for the colic symptoms to abate if dairy in mom's
diet is truly the culprit. mom also has to be sure she's truly
eliminating all traces of dairy and knows all the terms for dairy.
here are a couple of sites i find helpful:

Go Dairy Free | Dairy Ingredient List
Go Dairy Free | Hidden Dairy

A great resource online for mom to get allergy and breastfeeding
compatibility advice is [log in to unmask] it is a group of extremely
experienced and professional moms dealing with all kinds of food
allergies themselves and in their children. there are also sundry
links archived for websites and blogs full of diets and recipes and
safe substitutions for allergens. i myself co-created a blog and
posted my recipes for my son who is igg-allergic to: dairy, corn, egg,
wheat, soy, peanut, tree nuts, beans, lentils, sesame and seafood. i
have 5 young children and found it easier just to feed them all the
same, so i've had to find very tasty and kid-friendly meals to keep
some weight on my FTT allergy guy. i share it with all the bfing moms
i work with as well as all of our health care providers to use for
*their* patients - all too many of whom are now dealing w/ the same or
similar issues and don't know where to start in feeding themselves
safely for breastfeeding their baby. here is the site and i have no
financial stake in promoting it, i make no financial profit whatsoever
from it: Green and Bitchy  (www.greenandbitchy.blogspot.com)

Jacqui Gruttadauria, BSW
(near detroit, michigan - where my 4.5 yo nursling just outgrew her
life-threatening, anaphylactic peanut allergy the dr. said was
lifelong and he is amazed and calls it "statistically against the
odds" and i call it, "thanks be i had the sense to breastfeed her this
long" ! :-)