Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2012 17:25:52 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Hi Allison.
There are a few of us who have studied bottle flow.  Lisa *Sandora* is one, but I don't recall if Lisa *Marasco* has.  Anyway, I am one the ones who also studies bottle flow, so I'll take a shot at your questions and comments.  :)

You wrote, "When I compressed the nipple, the water flowed quite quickly."  We (my coauthor and I) found that to be true...however, compression is not thought to be the determining factor of flow rate.  Vacuum is thought to be more important.   I do not try and quantify how fast a bottle flows by what comes out when I squeeze the nipple, because it's not a reliable way to test.  However, some babies (the naughty ones!) bite the nipple or compress with their lips rather than sucking correctly, and I DO pay attention to how a bottle seems to flow with compression, because it would encourage babies to continue biting or compressing.  A nipple that streams when pinched might not be the best choice for a baby who has compression tendencies.

You wrote, "When I tried to mimic a more peristaltic motion it was a much more reasonable rate."  We have studied the Lansinoh bottle, and then compared it to the other 35+ brands we have tested.  It ranked the 19th slowest bottle.  Looking at our specific data to test flow, we measured the voume collected after 20 pump cycles, and the slowest brand measured 1.3 mL, the Lansinoh measured 5.28 mL, and the fastest brand measured 14.2 mL.  We'd rank the Lansinoh as a slow - medium - slow bottle.  

You wrote, "Seems that baby may be able to control flow somewhat. Nothing drips out when held upside down."  We have found that it doesn't particularly matter if the bottle drips or not regarding how a baby controls the flow.  Yes...the Lansinoh bottles doesn't drip.  But over half of the bottles we've tested stop dripping within 5 seconds of inversion.  Further, dripping can be controlled with positioning.  Even if a bottle seems "drippy," we should not assume it's actually a fast nipple or that a baby can't self-pace on it.  

I agree with you...I look forward to seeing a few babies on this bottle.  I haven't formed much of an opinion yet.  I like the shape.  The texture is somewhat soft...so I want to compare how a baby with a regular suck does on it compared with a baby who compresses.  I'd love to hear your opinion once you've used it a few times!

Amy Peterson, IBCLC
co-author Balancing Breast and Bottle: Reaching Your Breastfeeding Goals

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2