From:
Kris Nilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2015 12:00:54 -0500
Do any of you use a handout that explains problems that tongue tie can cause if not corrected?

Some moms just stare at us when we tell them about their baby's tongue tie and what can be done to help (even if mom is having quite a bit of pain). No one wants to hear that there is any problem with their baby. The Peds are pretty nonchalant about it when talking to mom. They will refer to ENT if I think it is necessary but when I (the only IBCLC) is not here, very rarely are these noticed or treated.

If the mom does not want procedure done or wants to think about it for a few days, I tell her that's O.K. and these are signs to look for in the next few days (that tongue is a problem): increasing nipple pain or damage, breasts full but infant unable to feed well/feeds very, very frequently and still unsatisfied, excessive weight loss. I also tell her that if those symptoms do occur, as a "back-up plan" she should pump and feed EBM until the problem is corrected. Also, she should come back for lactation consult.

Ped usuallly is unaware of the tongue tie at the follow-up visit (5-7 days of life) or 2 week so if there is a weight issue, the mom probably will not associate it with the tongue tie I may not see them again.

Any thoughts? Maybe it should be written on discharge paperwork?

Kris Nilson BSN RN IBCLC
WINN Army Community Hospital
Ft. Stewart, GA