Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 03:27:17 EST
I'm late to the thread.  I am starting to apprentice with a MD who does
Complementary medicine including detox acupuncture (drug and alcohol rehab)
based upon a CME 70 hour certificate course.  He has been working for the
last five years in a perinatal drug and alcohol rehab program using three
modalities- detox acupuncture (ears only), Tai Chi and Chi Gong.  He also has
training in herbal medicine from an Chinese medicine standpoint (also board
certified in internal medicine and has a master's in public health).  He also
participates in a juvenile drug court program and a general adult program.
His participants have a very high rate of negative tox screens during
program, reduced repeat crimes and large percentage clean and sober at one
year post treatment.

The upshot is that I have decided it is time for me to broaden my knowledge
base to include complementary medicine.  Also will start working on the
requirements to sit for the IBCLC boards in a year.

I plan to open my own pediatric practice in Modesto this summer.  After 8
years of working for others (multispecialty group, community health centers),
I have decided to give it a try.

Of course the practice will be Breastfeeding friendly (as well as friendly to
children with special health care , mental health and educational needs,
adolescents and families with Medicaid and CHIP insurance).

Looking forward to hearing from other involved in pediatric and family
medicine practices doing similar things.

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett, MD, FAAP
Modesto CA