Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:48:31 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
I have a colleague currently breastfeeding a 7 month old who has started.  She called this a.m. for suggestions.  All your posts make me wonder now.  How do you deal with a biter when breastfeeding.  I told her the usual stuff, watch for when he's getting ready to bite, because they can often tell.
She says he sucks a few times and starts biting about the time the milk lets down.  MER was never a problem for him before, but I advised her to observe if there's a connection and maybe he doesn't like the fast flow.  She's getting really full, because she can't make him quit even when she makes
him stop, talks to him about  how he can't do that and all that, tries to put him back on and he does it again.  So, I guess he's not getting much time at the breast, because he insists on biting almost immediately.  She doesn't want to quit, is quite a nursing advocate as a matter of fact, but of
course, everyone's telling her to.  How do you handle persistent biting, those of you who have done it.

All this talk about pacis makes me wonder if thumb-sucking would be a perfect preventive strategy.  They would surely associate that chomping with pain if it was their own thumb!

Marsha, who never had to deal with this situation with any of her 4 children, thank goodness....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.John S. C. Abbot
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2