From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 07:43:11 -0700
  they ask you to take a sip of it, not drink it or
> dump it. They're just looking to see that you're not trying to bring
> something hazardous onto the plane. It doesn't seem like an unreasonable
> request to me.

I saw the woman interviewed on FOX. She suggested to the screener that she
pour a little out onto her hand and drink that. The screener refused that
suggestion & insisted she drink directly from the bottle. Just a sip, not
all of it.

The woman said she was concerned about (her saliva) contaminating the milk.
My thoughts would be to feed one of the bottles during takeoff, but I would
have the same concerns about using the other bottles at all - after mom's
saliva had time to work in it. My impression, however, is that the woman
didn't want to feed ANY of the milk to baby just because she had sipped
from it. Like - doesn't she ever kiss her baby?

> The story in the newspaper this morning states she was told to drink
> from the bottles, not drain them. The policy has since been changed.

Maybe we'll get some uniformity of policy interpretation out of this - and
some new policies.

> Why would a woman feel that tasting her own breastmilk is "disgusting"?

That's a comment she made on a similar radio program hosted by the same
interviewer as the TV program I saw a day later. I think she said the idea
of tasting it was disgusting and that she didn't like the taste, but I
don't remember the words she used to describe the taste.

Toddlers we know and love like the taste. Didn't Dianne Weissinger's (sp?)
daughter say it tasted like melted ice cream? Maybe this woman's
description of the taste reflected her own thoughts about having to taste
it in the first place.

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC