From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 16:44:03 -0500
May I respectfully suggest that people consider that the jury in the Tabitha
Walrond case had access to more information than has ever been made public,
and that we have to trust they made the right decision based on the facts.

It has been clearly stated in the media that this baby died from a
combination of factors: adrenal hypoplasia, insufficient breast milk intake
(due in part to his mother's breast reduction surgery), failure to feed him
anything else, and HIS MOTHER'S NEGLIGENCE in not taking him to an ER.

It is a fact that in the US we do expect parents to take reasonable measures
to care for their children, and this includes getting medical help when your
baby is starving to death.  This child was 2 months old, not 2 days.  This
case is not just about breastfeeding, and when people insist that this
mother should not have had to bear *any burden of responsibility* for
noticing that her baby was starving to death, it just makes them look foolish.

Kathy Dettwyler