From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:54:45 +0800
>Does anyone have references for research that show whether there is further
>development of the alveoli in humans during the early days/weeks of
>lactation.  The only studies/research I could find were postpartum mammary
>development in mice.  I want to use it as part of a breastfeeding class, to
>support breastfeeding early and often, and need to be sure it is accurate.
>
>thanks,
>Claire Bloodgood, IBCLC

Claire, Peter Hartmann's team has studied the development of the
breast through pregnancy and in the first month postpartum, and they
have found in some (at least one) of their subjects that much of the
breast growth did indeed happen after the birth.

This is mentioned in Cregan MD & Hartmann PE, 1999, Computerized
breast measurement from conception to weaning: Clinical implications,
J Hum Lact 15(2): 89-96, and refers to an earlier study:
Cox DB, Kent JC, Casey TM, Owens RA, Hartmann PE, 1999, Breast growth
and urinary excretion of lactose during human pregnancy and early
lactation. Endocrine relationships. Exp Physiol 84:421-34

One comment in the JHL article is 'It should be noted that mothers
with minimal breast growth and development during pregnancy may
require additional support in the immediate postpartum period so that
they do not lack the confidence in their ability to produce
sufficient milk for their newborn infants.'

Hope this helps.

Joy