From:
"Henry, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:32:04 -0700
I think the main problem is that mothers assume because they spoke to
someone who knows about breastfeeding (either LC or LLLL or whatever) and
the problem wasn't fixed then if must be unfixable.  My new thing when
working with a mom with a challenging situation is tell her (usually a few
times) that these suggestions and ideas are just the A list, that we have a
B & C list to try if this doesn't work (and sometimes even a D & E list).
That other people they can contact may have a few different things on their
A list.

Especially a mom newly postpartum (I remember research showing that moms
forget most of what they are told in the first few days pp).  So even though
they may get told that there are others in the area who could help them they
don't remember and think that one shot in the hospital was the only shot to
fix the problem.

Felicia Henry
Oxnard, CA