From:
Fred Bremford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:57:23 +1200
Hi I'm Erin Bremford and I'm new to the Lactnet. I work with post natal
mothers and babies at the Plunket Family Support centre Milford Auckland
New Zealand. Mothers use our unit when they are having problems. i read
Val Best's comments re client with painful cracked nipple.  I come
accross this problem regularly. I feel sure that it is candida at the
root and suggest that you treat the nipple with an oral gel after
washing it with warm water after a breast feed and the mother's nipple
with an antifungal cream. I also am finding that nystatin or mycostatin
drops taken by the mother orally for a lenghty period plus some
accidophilus yoghurt every day helps. Yes I do find that some women do
have thrush ante natally and  from my reading it is hormonal in origin.
I alo reccomend steam treatment to the nipples on a daily basis for one
week in severe cases .The pysiotherapist at North Shore hospital
supervises these and the treatment does help with healing. I am always
looking for help with this senario as without a lot of support these
mothers can so easliy give up breast feeding.

Erin Bremford. Audkland N.Z. RGON. PLUNKET NURSE IBCLC.