From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 07:44:44 -0800
Pat Lamented:
Monday, January 29 must have been a day for hearing
the absurdities of
physicians who are working with breastfeeding mothers.
 Here's some of what
I heard yesterday:  (silliness snipped)

as I read these terrible things, I wondered why *no
one* ever says them to me.  Oh- I would love a chance
to respond!  then it occurred to me that there is
likely a reason I dont' get that kind of thing- I
don't ask physicians for advice on breastfeeding.  I
suspect I project an air of confidence about what I'm
doing. (after all, a recent online quiz pegged me as a
chihuahua)  When I was challenged briefly by a dentist
wrt my daughter's tooth decay, I just told him that
breastfeeding didnt' cause it.  Period.

I also don't get challenged for public nursing (ok,
twice in 6 yrs, nursing a toddler both times)- and I
don't hide.  I meet people's eyes when they look at
me, counter to some "discreet breastfeeding" guides.
It's probably easier to challenge a "shrinking
violet".

I wish I could pass on some of my attitude to others,
but can only do so by example.

Kate
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/advantages-of-formula.html