From:
Laura Wasielewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 02:01:21 -0400
Since we're already somewhat on the topic I thought I'd throw out a few questions that have been rolling around in my head for some time. We have already mentioned that the iron in human milk is hugely bio-available. We have also mentioned that typical birth practices (immediate cord clamping) in the U.S. could lead to sub-par, lower than God and nature intended, iron stores. We know that delayed cord clamping has been shown to decrease risk of anemia even up to at least a year. SO let's talk about a baby that was born without any interventions, didn't have his cord clamped until it stopped pulsating, was placed right on mama and went on to be breastfed to his heart's content. Let's say that baby is exclusively breastfed until 6 months. Is there really any good evidence that he is at risk for anemia in that 4-6 month age range? Let's take it a step further and say that precious baby is exclusively breastfed without the introduction of solids until he is a year old. Again, is there any credible evidence that he is at risk for anemia? I know I am describing the baby of a lot of women on this list. What is the anecdotal evidence? Have any of your babies become anemic?

I know we have already speculated about iron fortified rice cereal and iron supplements contributing to decreased uptake of the iron in breastmilk.

When I looked at the research on this myself (mostly the articles cited by the AAP policies) earlier this year I did not personally see anything that absolutely convinced me that babies born in the way I described and exclusively breastfed without any supplementation are absolutely going to become anemic if they are not given iron supplements (made primarily by formula companies as Karen G. pointed out) or iron fortified foods. It seemed to me that most of the babies in these studies were not exclusively breastfed, or exclusive breastfeeding was not clearly defined or was dramatically less than even 4-6 months. And we certainly don't have the birth stories of those infants. But it's been awhile since I read those studies. Did I miss anything?

Does a "normal" baby need iron supplementation? What about a "common" baby (hospital born with immediate cord clamping & possible formula supplementation)?

What are your thoughts?

Laura Wasielewski MS, CCC-SLP, IBCLC
Speech-Language Pathologist, Lactation Consultant & Mama
Los Angeles, CA