Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 16:49:57 -0400
I don't know if anyone has addressed this yet, as I have 200 Lactnet Digests
in my email box (okay, not that many), since I have been in Holy Toledo for
the past couple of days.

Anyhow, bilirubin appears in the urine when it is acted upon by the liver
(conjugated) but then cannot be excreted into the gut.  It thus finds its
way to the kidney where now, water soluble, it can be excreted into the
urine.  This is a "different" type of bilirubin than that which concerns us
in the first few days and is usually associated with liver disease.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC