From:
Karen Samford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:58:49 -0400
O.K. I'm no expert here and should probably stick to lurking but I had
to add what I found when I read the reviews myself.
It is absolutely ridiculous what these women are thinking, or at least
what they are representing themselves to think.  One can only imagine
that they could be sugaring their responses.  But anyhow, this is the
first one I read and I thought I'd share...
This woman says she successfully breastfed her first son (we don't know
for how long), but this "happened" with her second...

With my second son I started out breastfeeding, but at five
                        months old I felt the need to switch him to
formula because I
                        wasn't sure he was getting enough. He was
wetting regularly, but
                        he only had bowel movements once a week. I know
that this isn't
                        unheard of for a breastfed baby, but it made me
feel very
                        uncomfortable.

Either she's uneducated or I don't know what.  Very sad, that's all I
can say.
By the way, we were out shopping at Babies 'R Us the other day and we
were walking out and I see this HUGE banner in the doorway that has a
woman bottlefeeding her baby.  It was advertising the mother's room that
they provide so you can feed and change your baby.  Funny thing is that
I've used that mother's room many times and it's very breastfeeding
friendly.  I guess a picture of a woman nursing her baby would be
offensive, eh?  Pardon me but I think it really sucks.  I could always
imagine that it was expressed bm :)
It's been a "guess the formula fed baby" kind of week though.  At the
mall I noticed every single baby had a pacifier in their mouths and it
was quite a few babies because it was a holiday and everyone was
shopping.  I also saw a few with bottles propped.  Makes you wonder
where our priorities have gone.
But of course it all goes back to lack of education.  My own mother in
law insists her milk was "bad" and swore up and down that my son
needs/needed a pacifier to soothe him.  I guess he needed soothing in
between nursing every hour and a half for 30 minutes a shot for the
first two months of his life?? :)  I don't think the kid had time to not
be soothed.
I was really pleased to hear Montel Williams address this very issue of
educating yourself even though the show could have been much better.
Anyhow, sorry to ramble and go off on tangents here, especially being a
lay person but I couldn't help it!  It makes me wonder how I'll feel
when I *really* know what I'm talking about.
Take care ladies and keep up your stupendous work :)
Karen and Tristan
(who has been pacified up to 29 pounds at one year old!)