Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2011 08:38:53 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Just to play devil's advocate here.  Yes, the doctor's time only takes 15 minutes.  But he also pays rent, taxes, insurance, the front desk and the nurse assistant's salary, the equipment in the office, the cost of continuing education etc.  I have to take my computer in to be looked at.  The cheapest I can find is $75.00.  Just to look, not repair.  I'm having to have a frenotomy done by my dentist with a laser to save my teeth!  It will cost me about $200, even with insurance.  Sometimes it seems folks want to decide what other people's time is worth.  We all think our time is worth more.  I personally think mothers need compensation - but whose money should I confiscate to compensate them?  I think my compensation in hugs and kisses is worth something!

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jaye Simpson, IBCLC
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:33 AM
Subject: Re: cost of frenotomy office visit

I have one doc who charges $400 if no insurance and $200 if parents have insurance.  If insurance covers most of the $200, parents get a refund.  The other Doc charges $375 and does the same thing above.  However, the Doc who charges $375 recently dropped his price simply in order to help a mom whose baby desperately needed a frenotomy, but who had no insurance and only $100...

I encourage my clients to talk to the Docs about finances.  I honestly don't see why it costs that much to do a frenotomy.  The visit lasts all of 15 minutes IF that.  I think it is entirely possible for Docs to drop those prices a lot more to make it more affordable for all - it is, in my opinion, a necessary treatment for many and should be more easily available to all.

Warmly,
Jaye

Jaye Simpson, IBCLC, CIIM
Breastfeeding Network
Sacramento, CA
www.breastfeedingnetwork.net

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2