Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:34:54 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Tom Hale, who is both a clinical pharmacologist and has a backround in microbiology, has studied yeast.  It does NOT propagate in breast milk UNLESS you add iron to it (which causes yeast to grow - might be why formula fed infants have more thrush?).  Babies who are having very loose, frequent stools will often  have rashes. WE've discussed before all the things to do for oversupply including positioning, etc.  I vote to keep and use the milk! 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Kurtz
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:24 PM
Subject: Thrush and Pumped Milk

I have permission to post from a mom I have been helping since the beginning of Dec. when her baby was about a week old.  The mom had a painful latch from the beginning.  The baby was doing a lot of chomping during feeds, possibly secondary to the moms very abundant supply.  The mother had a yeast infection during her pregnancy and even before I saw her she described her symptoms and that the baby had a diaper rash.  She said the doctor said it was not a yeast rash and just some skin breakdown.  Her nipples were a little pink at the tips but no cracking or bleeding.  I encouraged her to use APNO along with the other suggestions I gave her for working on latch, etc. but she only used it sporadically, not enough to see if it really made a difference.  Things were improving until this week when the mom breastfeeding pain increased again and mom was diagnosed with yeast on her nipples and the baby with a yeast diaper rash.  The mom has been pumping and storing milk for her return to her medical internship in a few weeks and now wants to know if she should discard all of it.  I did some research and found a lot of conflicting answers.  I also found some references to heat treating the milk before using but wasn't sure if this was enough and exactly to what temperature it needed to be heated to kill yeast.  I always hate to see moms waste precious milk but don't want to see her thrush recur after this treatment.  I already gave her dietary and hygienic advice to getting rid of yeast and her midwife and ped. gave her perscriptions.  Your input is appreciated.

Karen Kurtz, IBCLC

Karen Kurtz
Celebrate Your Special Occasions On-Line.
Build Excitement Before, Share Memories After.
Wedding, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, Birthdays, and More...
Save $10 on your Celebration by clicking http://www.WebsiteCelebrations.com/?P=sewell

Check out what's new at Sewell Computer, at www.SewellInternet.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2