From:
Stephanie George <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2017 09:47:07 -0500
I am Oneida Nation in Canada. We have a long relationship with our natural
world. Our traditional medicine practices have been around since time
immemorial. The saying is that our medicine can cure anything except
obesity (we were never obese until these fast couple of generations, so it
wasn't needed). I know many stories where this medicine has saved lives
beyond what western medicine could do.

The reserve (reservation) on which I work has many non-Indigenous people.
They are well-meaning and well-educated in books and theories and
statistics. Because of this, they can be fear-promoting for any teaching
which is outside of western medicine thought or studies.

I was a speaker at a prenatal class in my community years ago, wearing 2
hats of Aboriginal Midwife and LC. A newly pregnant dad (we teach that mom
and dad are pregnant, which science is starting to catch up with) asked
about the prenatal teas which we advise women to drink. I know some of the
ingredients, not all. We Aboriginal Midwives help the medicine woman to
pick the plants.

The newly-hired Registered Dietitian (non-Indigenous) answered first. She
said that she would need a list of the ingredients before she would ever
give be alright saying it was safe to consume.

I was outraged! I understand that, as a new graduate, she has her science
brain and training, which means anything out of the box is null and void
without the studies to back it up.

I answered the question next and stated: We have been asked by our elders
and medicine people to drink the teas (traditional medicines) for
millennia. It doesn't matter what is in it. Our medicine person would not
kill us, she would not poison us, neither would the generations of medicine
people who came before us.

I say this so people can have open minds. I can just imagine where this
conversation will go (and it may not be a good thing).

Science doesn't explain everything.

*This post is also not about people who use Dr. Google to find an herb, and
take it without more study and intervention just because, "Dr Google said
so."*

This post is about traditional medicines. Most cultures have practitioners
who have kept this knowledge and trained others. Latinas have their own
medicines. As do Muslims. As do Oneida. As do Navajo.

If it is a true Traditional Medicine, it will be safe.  I have heard people
tell me, "Well, I won't risk that baby's life and say it is safe to use."
That's fine. But don't denigrate the mom's belief system in the process.

Science doesn't know everything. Traditional Teachings don't cover
everything. A respectful use of the two is something for which we should
all be striving.

I love my career as an LC, especially in my community. We are not
questioned about why and what ifs. Western and traditional medicines only
enhance each other. They should be be enemies. LCs I write to ask advice on
my more detailed clients, I adore and am so grateful they answer my
questions. No one knows everything but if we network and trust each other,
our entire pool of knowledge expands.

And expanding our knowledge, isn't that what life is all about?

Steph George
IBCLC
Aboriginal Midwife