Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:15:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
The use of breast pumps is one of my favorite topics. I found the following by a pub med search using the terms "breast pumping" and "breast pump and prolactin." Abstracts were available on all the articles.

Sequential and simultaneous breast pumping: a comparison.
Auerbach KG. Int J Nurs Stud. 1990;27(3):257-65. This  study found "the simultaneous double pumping option obtained higer mean milk volumes reaching statistical significance in three of the four comparisons."

Groh-Wargo S et al. The Utility of Bilateral breast pumping system for mothers of premature infants. Neonatal Network 1995 Dec;14(8);31-6. (Addresses the convenience factor)

Jones E. A randomized controlled trial to compare methods of milk expression after preterm delivery. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2001 Sep;85(2):F91-5. "The results are unequivocal and show that simultaneous pumping is more effective at producing milk.....breast massage has an additive effect improving milk production in both groups."

Hill PD. The effects of sequential and simultaneous breast pumping on milk volume and prolactin levels: a pilot study. 
J Hum Lact 1996 Sep; 12(3):193-9. "results suggested that milk yield be maintained or increased with frequent use of the simultaneous double pumping system."

There are a number of later studies by Hill (in JHL) addressing pumping that may help as well. 1999, 2001, 2002. She also presented at the LLLI Physicians Seminar in the last year or two but I'm not at home to check the syllabus.

However, just as a challenge for discussion, I have done a search of the literature and have found NO studies that support double pumping in the immediate postpartum to be indicated. (Every study I found has been done after milk supply is established.) In my experience, I offer the option to mom of single or double in the first few days. I find that it can be easier to manage and more colostrum will be collected in a single bottle. I theorize that this is because prolactin levels remain elevated for 20 minutes or more rather than 10 minutes. Once she sees an increase in milk volume around day 2-4, double pumping is initiated. There is no doubt in my mind that this is helpful.
Sincerely
Mary Kay Smith, RN, IBCLC
Canton MI USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2