From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 15:21:32 -0800
 No kidding about that "ultimate on-call job."  I have to chuckle every
time a new mom says "when will my 6 week old sleep through the night?"
Yes, it is true that some will at 6 weeks (as my first did), but most don't
(my second is 2 YEARS and has never slept more than 5 hours at
night--mostly wakes 2-3 times during the 10 PM-7 AM time period).  We need
to consider what our definitions of 'sleeping through the night' are and
what constitutes a 'feed.'  James McKenna's research documents that
co-sleeping moms often over-estimate the length of feeds, but underestimate
the number of feeds.  We apparently are in a semi-conscious state (ultimate
light sleepers) and tend to our children throughout the night.  I know that
with my first, even he would reach out and check for me in his sleep.  With
my second, if he doesn't "find" me he fully awakens, but not if he quickly
feels that I'm there (sometimes he'll go on to nurse, but other times it's
just to check in).  It is my experience that co-sleeping moms employed
outside the home DO bf longer and their kids seem more content because of
the relationship (whether that is due to bf and/or close contact, I can't
say).

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]   : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340    : )
: )LLLLLLLLLLLLL**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL : )